Electric fireplaces are dominating the market with more people choosing them over the traditional fireplaces. Well, one thing to keep in mind is that every device has its pros and cons that as a consumer you must be aware of. So, in this article, we are going to discuss all the pros and cons of electric fireplace based on its functionality and features.
Pros of the Electric Fireplace
Decorative Benefits of Electric Fireplace
- Elegant design. These fireplaces are designed with excellent colors and materials that will blend perfectly with the home decor. So, all you have to do as the user is select the fireplace that matches with your home and you will be good to go.
- Saves space. The electric fireplaces do not limit the space in the room. Meaning, they are crafted in a small structure which only takes small space for installation purposes. If you choose a mounting electric fireplace, the device will only require about 1 to 10 inches.
- Flexible for installation. Flexibility is found in the sizing of the device. Keep in mind that the electric fireplaces are ideal for all kinds of homes including condos. And therefore, to make sure everyone can get a good fireplace regardless of the size of their house, they are designed with different sizes for one to choose from. Others are designed with features like small shelves for keeping small decors, large shelve where you can keep a TV and even a drawer. So, select the device with features that will meet your home needs. Also, ensure to choose the size that will comfortably fit in your living room without reducing the required movement space.
- Long durability. What makes these fireplaces to stand out from the traditional ones is their durability because they do not work with the use of wood or gas. Therefore, they do not corrode or change tier texture. So, you are guaranteed to have a fresh looking fireplace all through.
- Easy to install. You don’t need to spend extra money in hiring a technician to help you in either fixing or mounting the device on the wall. In fact, best electric fireplaces can be installed by one individual.
- You don’t need to worry about the movement of the electric fireplace when moving from your current home since they are designed in a portable form. Thus it is quite easy to move the fireplace from one area to the other without damaging them.
- Do not require chimney or gas lines. Whether you live in rental houses or you have your own home, the fireplaces are quite versatile and can be used from anywhere. This is because they are powered by electricity and so, you will not require a chimney or a gas line to get rid of the gas combustion in the house. It is clean and safe to use in the home.
- Easy to control. No need to keep on getting up to add fuel or even to turn the wood as the devices are packed with a user remote. Versatile. You don’t necessarily need to use the electric fireplace during the cold season since you can still use them during the summer seasons. The majority of them are designed with the option of generating flame effects only without it getting heated.
- Adequate heating. Due to the fact that the electric fireplace disperses the heat directly without the use of a chimney, this feature ensures that no heat is lost and all heat is dispersed in the room.
- Easy control of heat. With the electric fireplace, you have full control of the heat dispersed in the room. This is because the devices are equipped with a thermostatic and therefore, all you need is to set the amount of heat you want in the room. With efficient control, the electric heaters provide excellent heating in the house even better than the traditional fireplace.
Safe to use.
- No gas emission. One of the reasons that most people don’t opt to keep gas or firewood fireplaces indoors is due to the gases that are produced when these two devices are working. But, when it comes to the electric fireplace, your household is completely safe since no gas is emitted from the device. Electric fireplace works with the use of electricity which is quite safe. Therefore, if you have a family member who has respiratory problems, this fireplace will still work for all of you since it does not affect them. Another benefit related to electric fireplace safety is that the frames that are emitted are not real thus ensuring safety for the households with kids.
Benefits Regarding Efficiency
- Electric conversion. The electricity is turned to heat with about 99 percent. Therefore, you are guaranteed to get ample heating effect in your house at any time.
- Easy to maintain. Due to the fact that the electric fireplaces are not affected by the combustion, it makes it easy to maintain them since you will not need to worry about servicing it. All you will need to do is replace the bulb which is done maybe after two to three years.
- Saves installation money. As we saw earlier on, the electric fireplace is easy to install hence no need to hire a technician for these tasks.
The retail cost of the electric fireplace is relatively low as opposed to others, plus you will not incur much expenditure in future for the maintenance services.
Cons Of Electric fireplace
- Appears fake. The frames that burn on the electric fires are fake. This is because they are powered by electricity hence you will not experience the thrill of viewing the real frames burn.
- Limit your exploration. The wood fireplace allows you to explore and have fun since you can poke the fire and even turn the wood but with electric fireplace, all you will be doing is control the heat with the use of a remote.
The electric fireplaces are not the primary heat sources. They use electricity in order for them to run which means that, if you have a power outage in your house, then the devices will not function at all. For those who live in areas which occasionally have a power outage, they may find these devices to be unreliable.
Although the electric fireplaces are quite easy to install even without the need of an electrician, there are others that will need more than one person to get the device standing. For example, if you opt the fireplace with other features like a bookshelf or TV shelf, you will spend more time and even require a technician if the joining process is complex.
The device poses a huge danger in the case where it is used with other appliances since they tend to draw maximum power. Therefore, if used together with other appliances, this leads to overloading of the power cable and it may end up exploding. For safety purposes, you may be required to do another wiring in the house to avoid this accident from occurring.
Although the electric fireplaces have several drawbacks in their functionality, we cannot ignore the fact that they also have huge benefits as well. They are safe for homes with pets and kids since they do not produce gas combustion, and they are easy to control as well. The maintenance is easy plus they are durable too. For purchasing purposes, make sure to look for the device from a reliable dealer to ensure quality.