Are you looking for a perfect alternative to the real fireplace? Well, now according to real customer feedback, an electric fireplace will the best alternative for real fireplace lovers. You will find an electric fireplace in different colors, shapes, designs, and dimensions. You may find different types of electric fireplace also. Some fireplaces are freestanding, while others are designed to be mounted on walls, others can be installed inside your existing fireplace. Among the different kind of fireplaces, a freestanding electric fireplace will be the perfect choice for them who has a low budget but want to buy a good heater. But, whatever is our choice, we always try to buy a smoke-free, clean and eco-friendly heater.
In this article, our expert will help you to choose the best freestanding electric fireplace for your home. They have picked this top 8 electric freestanding fireplace after expending countless hours online and different markets.
Quick Look At Top 8 Best Freestanding Electric Fireplace Of 2020
Reviews of Our Top 8 Best Freestanding Electric Fireplace
NUMBER #1: Duraflame DFI-5010-01 Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove
Duraflame DFI-5010-01 Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove is a unique and cute little freestanding electric fireplaces. It comes up with many unmatch and supreme features. It is superb light and easily portable. So, one can move it to anywhere else of your house or apartment for quick and instant warm. This fireplace heater doesn’t become warm as well. So, it will very smooth and cool to touch, even though it is running at full swing. Also, it’s very safe for kids and pets of the house.
The flame of this fireplace looks realistic than any other brands listed in this roundup, but it is not too bright at all. The 3D view of burning logs, beautiful side views, and beveled glass doors are the main wow factor of this stove. The knob of the glass door is very sexy. The digital display of the stove is situated inside the glass door and you can see it when you open the glass door. You can see a thermostat control system, digital display that shows the current room temperature, timer setting, and last the flame intensity option (which helps to control the brightness of the flame).
The performance of this fireplace stove is just amazing. This little powerhouse has a capacity of heating up a medium size bedroom of 1000 square feet. Furthermore, this fireplace stove features infrared heating and this type of heating technology prevents the room air from being dry and manages to keep ideal indoor humidity.
It has an adjustable thermostat that allows you to determine and set the desired room temperature of your comfort. The Duraflame Infrared Fireplace Stove also has a built-in overheat protection device, which enables this heater to shut off instantly when it starts overheating.
The above features that we point out in this review make this Duraflame Infrared Quart Fireplace Stove one of the best and cheap freestanding electric fireplaces in the market.
However, the fireplace makes slight noises when functioning but it is quiet enough to leave it to turn on while you are sleeping at night.
- High-quality metallic construction
- Impressive 3D fire display
- Large viewing display panel
- 5-adjustable speed and brightness settings
- Ideal for heating medium-sized rooms
- Plastic legs-not strong enough
Number #2: Lifesmart Infrared Quartz Freestanding Electric Fireplace
I am not a huge fan of the design of this freestanding electric fireplace, although, it is available at three different colors (Light oak, burnished oak, and dark oak). Nevertheless, It is best why it is meant for since the performance of this electric fireplace is simply outstanding. It has the same heating capacity as Duraflame Infrared Fireplace Stove and it can heat a large room of 1000 sq.feet. It has 3 commercial standard quartz infrared heating tubes which increase the heat transferring capacity of this heater to another level.
The footprint of this freestanding fireplace isn’t that huge. You wouldn’t face any complication placing it in any room. It has castors which are a great addition to increase its movability.
It has three heat setting options: High, Low and Eco Setting. However, low and eco setting is fairly enough to take the chill off a large space without any trouble. It can generate a very mild, soft and cozy heatwave.
Furthermore, it is one of the great fireplaces for zone heating as it doesn’t heat the whole room rather it heats a specific zone or objects in the room. This kind of heating technique helps us to reduce energy consumption and electricity bills also. Moreover, as it targets humans and objects instead of heating the whole room, it will not dry the air like an infrared heater. So, the moisture in the room will not become imbalanced.
- The interface is accessible and user-friendly.
- Size is perfect, not very big neither too small.
- The blower is very strong. It sends the heatwave fast and far.
- No assembly is needed
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Flames don’t look realistic
- Remote is bulky
Number #3: e-Flame USA Regal Freestanding Electric Fireplace
Certainly, e-Flame USA Regal Fireplace will enhance the appearance of your home décor especially if you set it up inside your living or dining room. Everyone will love the retro look design of this heater. We can say, by far, it’s one of the best looking fireplaces we have ever seen. It has three different colors. Among them, matte black is my favorite as this color really shins on the fireplace. Also, the curve design makes it more attractive and unique. Moreover, the false flame seems very realistic, charming, and add ambiance to the room. Some user of this fireplace thinks that the faint cracking sound it creates while is a bit annoying but some others reviewed that the sound is not disturbing at all.
The heating elements of this fireplace is located at the bottom of the heater, which means the heat also comes out from the bottom. So, the casing of this heater will not become hot and it is safe to touch while it is running. It is great for warming feet since the heat comes out from the bottom.
It is not a great performer since heat this fireplace generates is not very far-reaching like our top 2 electric fireplaces. Nevertheless, with the BTU rating of 5000, we can say this electric freestanding fireplace can warm a medium-size room of 400 sq.feet. To enjoy the warm of this heater, you have to sit near to this heater if the room is very big in size. Overall, the heating performance of this fireplace is quite average. We recommend to buy this electric fireplace only if your room is small in size, otherwise, it is practical to purchase multiple fireplaces.
- Nice looking fireplace
- Flame looks realistic
- Quiet in operation. You can only hear the sound of the fan when it started.
- No assembly needed
- Legs are made of plastic
- Price is high if we compare it to the fireplace of the same configuration
NUMBER #4: Duraflame DFS-450-2 Carleton Electric Stove
If you are fond of the traditional wood fireplaces, you might find the Duraflame DFS-450-2 Carleton Freestanding Electric Fireplace very appealing. It is one of the sweetest stoves on our list. It will receive huge compliments from the visitors if you place this stove in your living room The electric fireplace looks so realistic that you may think that it is a wood-burning fireplace, not an electric fireplace. This space heater is so lightweight that you don’t need to buy two. You can use it by moving it one room to another.
The electric fireplace has an ember bed and glowing logs that create a realistic flame effect. Interestingly, the effect can be operated with the fireplace heating the room or even without heat.
Although the Duraflame DFS-450-2 Carleton Freestanding Electric Fireplace looks somewhat small, it can warm a room of 300 square feet. The remote control is optional and can be used to operate all functions of the appliance including regulating heat and glow. Nevertheless, some customers complained that the unit made unbearable noise when running. This electric fireplace stove takes time warming a room. We have tested it for a room of 10×15 and found that it took almost 15 min warming the room at a comfortable temperature. So, it will take 25-30 min to warm a room 300 sq.ft.
- Lightweight and easy portable
- Powerful heater
- Great price
- Very attractive looking
- Safety features that turn off the heater to prevent overheating
- Outside sheet is cool to the touch all the time
- External plastic covering is cheap and might be harmful during overheating
- Small in size
- Take time warming a room
- Low heating capacity
NUMBER #5: SEI Sicilian Harvest Electric Fireplace
SEI Sicilian Harvest Electric Fireplace is a lovely freestanding electric fireplace. It is small in size so you would face too many difficulties place this inside your house. This fireplace is also perfect for a large size basement and we have seen many customers are using this fireplace in the basement and they are quite satisfied. The oak color fireplace is simple to move room to room since the whole fireplace is kept on rollers and it’s pretty lightweight.
Coming to the functionality of this fireplace. It heats very well and nobody will complain about it. It can easily cover a large size bedroom of 700-800 sq.ft. You shouldn’t expect that it can cover a room of 100 sq.ft as it is advertising on Amazon and other online shops. But, yet it is enough powerful to warm a large room. Although it takes time to warm, it does the job what it is meant for.
Some customers complained that the wood frame was not properly stained and finished. One particular reviewer complained that his fireplace stopped working after only a month of use.
- No assembly is needed for this unit
- Easy to use
- Maintenance isn’t difficult
- Heats really well
- Mantel supports up to 85lbs
- Firebox with interior brick design, glowing embers and flickering flames that make the electric fireplace more realistic
- Wood frame look cheap
- No self timer available
- Very small
- Lacks safety device
Number #6: TURBRO Electric Fireplace Stove
The retro design of this sweetest little freestanding electric fireplace will level up the ambiance of your apartment. The flame effect of burning emulation logs looks mesmerizing and 3 sided panoramic viewing glass and glass door took the design of this stove to another level. This Turbro fireplace is specially built with durable metal. So, you don’t have to think about the lifetime of this fireplace. Furthermore, you will get a one-year free service warranty in case any problem occurs with this stove.
With the wattage rating of 1400 watt and BTU rating of around 4500 BTU, it can warm a big size room of 1000 sq.feet. It will take a couple of minutes to warm a good size bedroom.
- Easy to use
- Very lightweight and easy to move from one room to another
- Good Looking fireplace
- Not that much noisy
- Easy to install
- Legs are made of plastic. It is likely to break easily.
- No remote control
NUMBER #7: Southern Enterprises Cartwright Convertible Electric Fireplace
The Southern Enterprises Cartwright Convertible Electric Fireplace can be used as a fireplace insert or inside a fireplace TV stand or freestanding fireplace whatever you want to. This amazing design fireplace can be place easy in a living room or master bedroom.
It requires 1400 watts of power to run and heats up to 400 square feet. It has a tiny remote control. It is allowed to control the stove in four ways. You can adjust the thermostat, timers, brightness, and flame effects from the distance. The model has a safety feature with qualities like automatic shutoff and glass that stays cool to your touch.
Some customers expressed dissatisfaction with the fireplace. A particular reviewer indicated that some parts were packed broken and the mantle is poorly made. Others complained that it started to make noise after a few months of use.
- A self-regulating heater that turns off when the required temperature levels are realized
- Sleek design and appearance including an interior brick pattern that allows for a more lifelike look
- Easy to use the remote control
- Easy to install even without professional assistance
- Child safety feature
- Not ideal for large spaces
- Bigger in size
- Not very powerful
NUMBER #8: Comfort Zone Electric “Stove Style” Fireplace Heater
Comfort Zone is a renowned brand when it comes to the development of home appliances.
First, the electric fireplace is built “stove style,” which makes it ideal for movement across rooms. The model is freestanding and has a stable base which means you can position it almost anywhere in a room.
The Comfort Zone “Stove Style” electric fireplace has two heat settings of 750/1500 watts, meaning you can adjust the temperature for your maximum comfort. The simulated 3-D flames with an ember bed are highly realistic.
You do not even need to worry about your pets or children since the fireplace cabinet is made of durable plastic that stays cool even when the heater is operating. Although most customers were satisfied with the fireplace, some complained that their unit stopped working after a few months of use.
- Free-standing and a stable base
- Easy to move across rooms
- Shuts off if it starts to overheat
- The plastic casing might appear low quality
- Not suitable for large rooms
- The fan might sound loud
Best Freestanding Electric Fireplace Buying Guide
How To Pick Best Freestanding Electric Fireplace Like A Pro
• Design-there are various types and designed freestanding electric fireplaces. You can purchase a freestanding electric fireplace that can stand on four legs, a mantelpiece fireplace, or even a freestanding fireplace that can be placed inside a Tv stand or bookshelf. Before you choose one, you need to know which type of fireplace will be ideal and suits your house the most. We have discussed it in detail in types of electric fireplace sections.
• Heating space-electric fireplaces are more cost-effective than wood or pellet stove. But they don’t have the high heating capacity as traditional wood stoves or fireplaces. So, be sure that the electric fireplace of your choice can effectively heat the entire room.
• Features-freestanding electric fireplaces offer a variety of features to suit your tastes. But you need to pick one that features suits your house environment more. For example, apart from a mimic wood flame, some electric fireplace produces crackling wood-burning sounds like a real fireplace. The crackling sound may annoy some customers, however, some people may enjoy it.
• Controls-consider the variety of controls offered by freestanding electric fireplaces such as thermostat controls or heat settings to adjust or maintain certain temperatures, or brightness settings among others.
TYPES OF ELECTRIC FIREPLACES AVAILABLE IN MARKET
1. FREESTANDING ELECTRIC FIREPLACE
Freestanding electric fireplaces are amazing pieces of heater that many individuals would love to add to their home. They literally stand up on 4 legs and some come up with removable wheels so that it can be moved around effortlessly. Aesthetically they look amazing so many would love to bring into their home. Generally, Best freestanding electric fireplaces are made of quartz. A fireplace that comes up with quartz heats a room very fast without spiking the electricity bill. Furthermore, these fireplaces come with a 3d flaming effect that can look very visually appealing.
2.Build-In ELECTRIC FIREPLACE
Built-in Electric Fireplaces are a terrific new piece of fireplace that individuals can add to their home if they already have a built-in fireplace in there home. Built-in Electric fireplace is different from wood or gas fireplace since they do not need a vent pipe or chimney because they don’t utilize any kind of fossil fuel. Although these fireplaces may sound like they will be complicated to set up, in reality, it is not that complicated. The only complication is to find a proper size electric fireplace that can fit in the fireplace. After purchasing a perfect dimension fireplace, you need to install it in the spot following the user manual and then connect the plug and run it.
3. Electric Fireplaces with Mantels
Electric fireplace with mantels is the last electric fireplace that will be covered in these summaries of these great new home appliances that heat up individuals’ homes. To be exact, an electric fireplace that comes with mantels are created with a mantel that surrounds the fireplace so that it can be put inside a house and look exactly like the real and durable. Moreover, these types of electric fireplaces come in a variety of different stone formations and colors that many individuals can pick to match the taste of their home. Next, another great feature about electric fireplaces with mantels is that they come with different heating levels that can be switched and come with a safety heating cutoff valve that can tell when the fireplace is getting too hot. Lastly, to place this amazing appliance in a home an individual will just need a 120-volt outlet yo enjoy their electric fireplace with a mantel today.
4. Electric Fireplace Inserts
Electric fireplace inserts are an amazing heater that many are starting to move towards now rather than using the older wood and gas fireplaces. There are two different types of electric fireplace inserts you can see in the market. They are known as firebox inserts and electric log inserts.
- Firebox Inserts are really cool and great for many individuals who want to place under or over an entertainment center like a TV stand or bookshelf or something like that.
- As for Electric Log Inserts, they are very neat and great appliances also but are a little bit more restricted as to where they can be placed around a house. To be exact, electric log inserts are single appliances that are actually placed on this area normal combustion or wooden fireplace would be. So, in essence, an individual is still using a traditional wood fireplace, just minus all of the chemicals that are associated with burning wood or gas inside of a traditional home fireplace.
5. 3-Sided Electric Fireplaces
There are now 3-sided electric fireplaces that can really impress any individual with their attractive looks. The best feature when it comes to 3-sided electric fireplaces is the 180-degree view that is extremely exotic looking and very appealing to the eyes, so everyone can enjoy this fireplace no matter the angle they are sitting.
6. WALL MOUNT ELECTRIC FIREPLACES
Individuals who are looking to bring more intrigue to their house may be very interested in wall mounted electric fireplaces. These amazing pieces of furniture can come in all sizes big or small to be mounted on the suitable wall of an individual’s apartment or home. Furthermore, the best wall mounted electric fireplaces are easy to fit in any kind of home layouts and any size room. As they are mounted on the wall, they will not take any space in the room you likely to place. Moreover, they are very easy to install so you don’t need to hire a professional for this.
10 Most Important Safety Tips For Electric Fireplace Owners
1. Switch off the electric fireplace and also unplug from the socket if the unit isn’t in use.
- Reduce electricity consumption.
- No chance of accidental switch-on of the fireplace.
- Infants can’t able to turn your electric fireplace on curiously.
2. It is not recommended to operate an electric fireplace using an extended cord if it is not provided with your model.
Reasons: Extension cords are easily affected by overload voltage and there is a high risk it can cause a fire hazard.
3. Try to place and install an electric fireplace closer to your home electric socket.
Reasons: You may need an extension cord which is very risky to use.
4. If you have a wall mount electric fireplace unit, try to place it 5 feet above the floor. For the freestanding electric fireplace, it is safe to use a fireplace safety gate to keep your pets and children away from the fireplace.
Benefits: Keep your children and pet safe from burning
5. Never use an electric fireplace outdoor because it’s only designed for indoor use.
6. Keep it away from water. Never place an electric fireplace in a bathroom, laundry or other location where it can be exposed to water.
7. Don’t block the air intake and discharge venting system.
8. Don’t run an electric fireplace where flammable liquors, gasoline, and gases are present.
9. Don’t try to uplift an electric fireplace holding the glass panel
10. Don’t hit or strike glass because glass is very fragile in nature.
What is the Best Brand of Freestanding Electric Fireplaces?
Well, you may find many brands while you look online for a good quality freestanding electric fireplace. But among them, “Duraflame” is the most popular and renowned electric fireplace brand. Anyone can buy an electric fireplace manufactured by them. You can also consider freestanding electric fireplace produced by “Southern Enterprises” “e-Flame USA” and “LifeSmart”. These brands also have a very good reputation for manufacturing quality electric fireplace and they also possess very good feedback from customers.
Can I Leave a Freestanding Electric Fireplace Overnight?
Yes, you can leave your freestanding electric fireplace turn on overnight. But, it is a best practice to turn it off when you are not in your home.
Is It Expensive to Run Freestanding Electric Fireplace?
Running an electric fireplace isn’t expensive at all. Typically, a normal good quality freestanding electric fireplace uses 1500 watts of electricity. In the United States of America, the average cost of electricity is about .12$ per kWh. So, running a quality freestanding electric fireplace will cost 1.5Kw x $.12 = $.18/ hour. Assuming that your fireplace is 1500 watts and it will use 1.5 kW per hour.
Do Electric Fireplace Flames Look Real?
Yes, they do look realistic. But, not all of them offer the same level of the realistic flame effect.
Can I Put My Freestanding Electric Fireplace on Carpet?
Yes, it is 100 percent safe to place a freestanding electric fireplace on the carpet or top of a rug since you don’t have to deal with real fire.
WRAP IT UP
In this freestanding electric fireplace buying guide, our editor has listed some of the best freestanding electric fireplaces in the market. Before you go for one from the list, make a list of the features, dimensions, appearance and other aspects that you are looking in your fireplace. After that purchase one electric fireplace that really fulfills most or all your needs or wants.
Finally, we can say, you can choose from wood, gas or electric fireplace available online or shop. Whatever is your choice, it mostly depends on your space, regional weather condition, house design, and budget. But if you looking for a heater that can give your house a contemporary look and adequate ambiance then an electric fireplace will be the best option for you.
- Editor Rating
- Rated 4.5 stars
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified: