A house without a fireplace is not complete particularly if you are living in a cold city or state. It will not only warm you in winter but also help us to fight against the diseases that come due to cold air. In the past, only woods are used to burn in the fireplace or stove. But, they produce smoke and not safe to use inside your resident, and it is for this reason that people came up with the idea of an electric fireplace. The first electric fireplace was introduced back to 1912 which was very first used in the theater as a prop. The old models of electric fireplaces had a lot of limitations; they were expensive, hard to install and the flames were not at all realistic. This is quite normal with the first inventions of any product. With the passes of time, this appliance upgraded tremendously. Now you may find freestanding electric fireplace models also wall-mounted models which was pretty much rare in the past. Manufacturers continue to flood the market, especially during the winter season. The popularity of an electric fireplace has grown at very high rates. If you had used a wood fireplace in the past, you may think that is electric fireplace safe to use in the home?
Today we will discuss electric fireplace safety issue in details.
Are Electric Fireplace Safe to Use?
These worries come due to the risk that the wood or gas fireplaces pose. So, many people assume that the same safety issues are as well associated with electric fireplace. But, frankly speaking, they are very safe and easy to use.
To start with, the flames on the electric fireplace are just an illusion that is created by light bulbs. Therefore, unlike the gas or wood fireplace, there you have to deal with real fire.
Secondly, the electric fireplaces produce heat through the electric heater, unlike the gas fireplaces that burn fossil fuel that produces carbon monoxide and other toxic gases. Although these toxic residual gases are always vented to the outside in a wood or gas fireplace though a pipe, but if licking takes place in venting pipe, it could be risky to your family. On the other hand, electric firepalce is clean and they don’t have to deal with such emissions of toxic gases.
Lastly, some gas fireplace or traditional fireplaces do not have glass between the flame and people. This means it is hazardous and you could get hurt by these flames. The fire on the electric fireplace is just illusion and cannot harm anyone.
Other Questions Regarding Safety Issue of Electric Fireplace
Is it safe to leave an Electric Fireplace Overnight?
Comparing the electric fireplace with the traditional log fireplace and gas fireplace, the electric fireplace is the safest if you need to heat your house or room overnight. The fireplace operates just like any other electrical device. Therefore, the risk of something like your furniture catching fire or carbon-monoxide licking is very slim compared to the gas and the traditional fireplaces.
Even with it being safe there are things that you need to remember, do not overheat the appliance by ruuing it for long period. Before using it for long time check the specification of your purchased model very carefully that how long it is capable to run at a time. It is always a good practice and many experts recommended to use electric fireplace at moderate temperatures to avoid overheating which may lead the fireplace getting burnt.
Also, ensure that there is nothing flammable ingredients or items near your fireplace or next to power cord. Because, leaving electric devices turned on for a long time in many cases result in short circuit.
So electric fireplace is the safest to leave running overnight, but it is good that before you do so, you take necessary precautions.
Electric Fireplace Safety Tips
Just like any other electric device, there are safety tips that are given by manufacturers of the appliance. We have compiled some from different manufacturers.
- To avoid cases of fire, keep flammble things like curtains, furniture, pillows, and clothes far away from the electric fireplace. Ensure that they are at least 3 feet away from the unit all sides.
- Make sure you unplug the cord while the appliance is not in use.
- Don’t use your electric fireplace if it is malfunctioning. Also, if the cord or plug are damaged do not use it either. In such a case you are supposed to take the broken fireplace to nearby authorized people or HVAC experts for repairing.
- Do not allow any foreign object to enter the appliance through the openings for it might cause electric shocks and fire.
- Do not try to make any modification to the unit. Only use it where it is recommonded to use by manufacturer or experts. Otherwise, it may get electric shock or catch fire by short circuit.
- Before connecting the appliance to electrical outlet ensure that the socket is well grounded or not.
- Never attempt to lift the unit by the glass. Always lift it by holding the firebox. Do not strike or impact the fire glass.
- It is always good to take precaution when the appliance is near pets, kids or physically handicap people. They will not burn by it but still has a chance of electric shock.
- The electric fireplaces are strictly meant for indoor use only. Do not use it outdoor or expose it to the outside weather.
Electric Fireplace Kids Safety Tips
So, after so many discussion, we have come to a decision that electrice fireplace are very safe to use in our home or apartment. But, you should follow some safety tips to be safe, but they are just the same tips that apply to any other electric appliances.
If you are using gas or traditional log fireplace, it is high time you upgrade with new technology. At an affordable price, you get something beautiful, easy to use, effective and safer.